Last Updated: March 1, 2018
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you fill out a form, make a donation, send us an email, sign up to receive email updates, sign a petition, sign up as a volunteer, create an account, schedule an event, participate in a contest or promotion, make a purchase or contribution, communicate with us via third party social media sites, request information, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, postal address, phone number, mobile number, credit card information and other contact or identifying information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Sites
When you access or use our Sites, we automatically collect information about you, including:
We log information about your use of the Sites, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Sites.
We may collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Sites, including the hardware model, operating system and version, device identifiers and mobile network information.
INFORMATION COLLECTED BY COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES:
We use various technologies to collect information, and this may include sending cookies to your computer or mobile device. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that helps us to improve our Sites and your experience, see which areas and features of our Sites are popular and count visits. We may also collect information using web beacons (also known as “tracking pixels”). Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Sites or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Sites. For example if you create or log into your account through a social media site, we will have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, account information and friends lists, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such social media site. We may also use such information for list matching purposes.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Sites;
- Provide and deliver the information you request, process contributions and transactions and send you related information, including confirmations and invoices,
- Send you confirmations, technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of the Sites;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various issues, events, resources, promotions, contests, products and services;
- Help connect you with other supporters, and to solicit volunteers for issues and organizations that we support;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Sites;
- Personalize and improve the Sites and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Process and deliver contest entries and rewards;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
The Organization is based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Sites or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. and other countries.
Sharing of Information
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers or volunteers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process, or as otherwise required by any applicable law, rule or regulation;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of the Organization, its employees, volunteers, or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization, formation of new organization, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of the Organization; and
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you through our Sites that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized information that does not directly identify you.
If you sign an online petition, you understand that such petition is public information and that we may make the petition, and your name, city, state, and any comments provided in connection therewith publicly available. In addition, we may provide such petitions or compilations thereof, including your comments, name, city, and state to national, state or local leaders, or to the press;
Social Sharing Features
The Sites may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Sites with other media, and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
ADVERTISING AND ANALYTICS SERVICES PROVIDED BY OTHERS
For more information about Internet-based ads, or to opt out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit optout.networkadvertising.org and
The Organization takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Sites.
You may opt out of receiving updates and newsletters from the Organization by following the instructions in those emails or by emailing us by clicking here. If you opt out, we may still send you other types of emails, such as those about your use of the Sites or any donations or transactions.